To mark the sad passing of Iain M. Banks, a giant of modern Science Fiction, this inaugural list of best reads of the year (not necessarily published in the year) will comprise 9 great Fantasy and Science Fiction novels rather than the more traditional top 10. Why 9? Well, 9 is integral to Marain in the Culture novels.
9. Goblin Moon by Teresa Edgerton
8. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
7. Warheart by Terry Goodkind
6. Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny
5. Shattered by Kevin Hearne
4. Knight’s Shadow by Sebastien de Castell
3. Lexicon by Max Barry
2. The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu
1. The Martian by Andy Weir. A great SF novel, packed with dry humour and hard science. It’s difficult to write a novel that mostly features a single character in a single location, but Weir does it well and crafts a great story in the process.